Writing For Engineers: Reflective Essay

Throughout this semester, Writing for Engineers was one of my favorite classes. Professor Adam Bubrow was really consistent with his syllabus which was truly organized. We had a lot of assignments that required two major things: research and writing. Research and writing are very important skills we need in real life not only in college. We have had assignments where it helped us to develop our communication skills, such as the informational interview report assignment. At the beginning of the semester we started out by writing introduction paragraph, informational interview, then, resume, cover letter, lab report, group proposal, and finally technical description. I have gained skills that included improvement in communication, research, reading and writing.

The first assignment we had was to write a introduction paragraph including background, hobbies, skills, and personal values. Then all the students participated and introduced ourselves to each other. My classmates and I posted our paragraphs on blackboard discussion where everyone was able to read about one another. This assignment was an excellent start because I was able to think through my skills and values, which lead me to focus on improving my weaknesses. It was also a way of knowing my classmates and have an insight about their major, interests, and background. I got to know my classmates and I was able to relate many common things between us.

The second assignment was the informational interview which was also one of the best assignments. The assignment goal was to seek-out for a professional employee who works in a position which we hope to become in the future. Professor Bubrow first assigned us to send a professional email to request the interview then make the  appointment with the person we are interviewing. So, we had to prepared questions to ask during the interview, we also had to record out interview as a proof. In my case, I am hoping to become a software engineer and I had to find a software engineer to interview. I was lucky enough to find a female software engineer through a friend of mine. The interview included the college she attended, how many internships she got while she was in college. In addition to her first job and how she found the company she is currently working with. This assignment gave me an atmosphere insight of the environment I will be working at in the future. I liked this assignment because it was like a wake-up call for me to expect what I be doing when I become a software engineer. 

The third assignment was writing resumes and cover letters. The purpose of the assignment was to first learn how to write a strong resume and cover letter for summer internship. I have found many summer internships for computer science and more specifically software engineering. I found my summer internship with Yext company in LinkedIn. My resume included education, relative coursework, experience, technical skills, academic projects, and finally awards. Where the cover letter included the introduction paragraph that introduces myself, body paragraph that talks about the reasons and my internists in joining the software engineer team in the company. It also contained my skills and how this position fits me perfectly, and lastly is the conclusion where I thanked the company for their considerations and my contact information. I liked this assignment very much because it helped me to prepare for my future career path. 

The fourth assignment was the lab report, we were assigned to conduct an experiment of rolling a pair of dice 100 times and analyze the result. The major part of this assignment was the researching using CCNY’s online library. This assignment included the summary of the experiment, introduction, the materials we used, methods, results and analysis. I used Java programming language to perform my experiment; in addition, I was taking statistics and probability for computer science which made my experiment very easy. I liked this assignment because I had experiences with creating lab reports form my previous physics class. The major skill I have gained from this assignment included improvement in reading.

The fifth assignment was the group proposal where professor Bubrow required us to perform in groups of four. The main idea of the assignment was to choose something in the CCNY’ campus that we want to change or improve. My group name is SmarNuts and we decided to talk about escalators in the North Academic Building (NAC). The reason we chose escalators is because most of the time the escalators in the building were either not functioning at all or under construction, which forces the students to climb the stairs all the time. The only thing I liked about this assignment is the researching part. Although I’m an excellent communicator and I enjoy working in teams, I didn’t like this assignment because my team was unbalanced. In other words, not all the members of my group worked hard as I personally did. Therefore, I felt it was unfair that some of the group members worked so hard and some didn’t are at all. Overall, we were able to manage and get the work done. 

The last assignment was the technical description. This assignment required us to write two-sided page about any mechanism or object. For instance, I chose wireless keyboards; I had to explain what is a keyboard first and how it works. This assignment included a combination of text and visuals that shows the reader what I explained. We had to present our technical descriptions in class. I have done a lot of research to understand the algorithms of keyboards; that was one of the reasons I liked this project and I’m glad of that. I was also able to clearly present it to the class.

Inclosing, this class was one of my favorite classes this semester, it improved my reading, writing, researching skills. Professor Bubrow made the class atmosphere comfortable and his feedbacks were very beneficial. He taught me how to write professional papers that will be useful in the future and will be used in the real-world. I learned punctuations and when to use them, he also provided us a lot of examples as well as practice sheets. We took a quiz about what we have learned throughout the semester. Skills I gained out of this course included improvement in writing a sufficient resume and cover letter, teamwork, researching and writing.